VAUGHN, ELLEN 8-18-1923

Mrs. Frances Ellen Vaughn died some time Saturday night, the exact time not being known, but it is thought she died about 10:30 as she was heard to breathe and it is thought turn in bed at that time.

Mrs. Vaughn’s age was 67 years and 4 months, and she was the widow of John Ellis Vaughn, a son of one of the best-known men in Jefferson County, Christopher Guess Vaughn.

She was the youngest member of her father’s family.

Mrs. Vaughn is survived by the following named children; Mrs. Lula Boone, Mrs. Agnes Carpenter on rural routes out of Mt. Vernon, IL;  John Vaughn, Trenton, Mo.; Mrs. Ed Rough near Mt. Vernon, IL; Frank E. Vaughn, near LaMonte, Mo., and Mrs. Ethel Quillin, Kanawa, Okla., and Mrs. George Donoho near Mt. Vernon, IL.

Two sons Curtis and Arley are dead.

The following named brothers and sisters survive; Burrell Sledge of Mt. Vernon, IL; Robert Sledge, Sedalia, Mo.; Louis Sledge, Divide; Mrs. Emily Chambliss, near Harmony Church; and Mrs. Lucinda Stitch, Duncan, Okla.

Mrs. Vaughn kept house for her grandsons John and Clarence Vaughn at 723 Conger Avenue Mt. Vernon, IL.

She was in her usual health Saturday and done a big days work. She had made all preparations for Sunday dinner and everything was in readiness for the day. She did not arise at the usual hour Sunday morning and the boys wondered at the fact. “Grandma” had never failed to be early engaged in the duties of day and the boys called and when she made no response, they investigated and found her apparently dead. Determined to leave nothing undone, a physician was hastily summoned but he found the spark of life had burned out; the gentle spirit had taken its flight hours before. “Grandma” was cold in death, having passed peacefully from earth and without pain.

It is believed she had realized for some time that death was near as she had made plans in anticipation, and when it came a good and faithful servant was ready for the reward. Mrs. Vaughn was a lifelong Christian having been converted at the age of thirteen years.

Coroner Jesse A. Reese, who was summoned to the home, impaneled a jury and death was found due to heart trouble, with which she had been a sufferer some time.

Funeral services will be held at Hopewell tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o’clock and burial will follow at the Hopewell Cemetery.

The Rev. A. L. Smith will conduct the services.